I based this simple yet hearty dinner recipe off of Tammy’s. As it turns out, it’s a great springboard for a simple dinner that I make on a regular basis. I love how the flavor of ground beef just shines in this dish; the rice and veggies are simply nutritional and flavor boosters, but there isn’t any tomato sauce or strong herbs/spices to overpower the flavor of the grass-fed beef that we buy straight from the farmer each year. The key to this dish to to stay simple and let the salt and pepper be your only seasoning. Easy peasy. When the budget is tight, increase the rice and decrease the beef. This allows you to buy higher quality beef more often, as well. Enjoy this recipe, Serina-style!
- A bunch of rice (I usually make brown rice, at least three cups dry)
- Ground beef (whatever size you have; I usually use one pound)
- Veggies, chopped medium-fine*
- Salt + pepper
- Cook rice however you prefer. Salt well. I use a rice cooker. You can try Basic Baked Rice it if you’re new to brown rice, this method is perfection.
- Cook beef (with onions and garlic, if you have them). Use plenty of pepper and salt.
- Cook veggies. I usually toss chop the veggies during naptime and store them in the fridge; then, during supper, I throw all the veggies right on top of the beef (I use a huge skillet) and heat it all up. Frozen veggies go straight from the freezer to the skillet. If it’s a really big batch, I cook the veggies separately.
- Dump all the ingredients into a big bowl and mix gently. Season well with salt + pepper.
*I use whatever I have. I nearly always use onions and corn; beyond that, it’s based on what’s hanging around. When I’m out of most everything, I can usually rely on frozen peas and frozen corn. Or frozen mixed vegetables. Last night, it was summer squash, onions, and green peppers. Sometimes I use my Japanese mandolin to turn everything into matchsticks instead of chopping. For some kids, sticking to a small dice is the key to getting them to eat it; huge chunks of squash turn off a lot of them. But when everything is just about the same size and fits nicely onto their spoons, they are more likely to enjoy it.