I told some friends I’d post this recipe, so here you go! There are bazillions of tutes and recipes out there on roasting red skin potatoes; this is just the way I’ve been doing it. It’s so easy, I almost feel silly posting it. But it’s so good!
We’ve been enjoying our Red Gold potatoes at least twice a week lately. We only planted one little row (2.5 lbs.), but it yielded very nice for us, and we’ve probably got 10-15 lbs. left.
- Red skin potatoes (start with about 3 lbs., or 12-14 potatoes, and work from there)
- Garlic or garlic powder
- Herbs of choice (I like rosemary, thyme, and oregano)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Pre-heat oven to 450.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with olive oil spray, or pour some EVOO in and spread with your fingers, including up the sides.
- Wash and dry potatoes. (I air them on a towel.) Quarter them, or half the small ones.
- Fill the baking dish with them. I arrange them in 3 or 4 tightly packed, neat little rows, and then throw a few more potatoes around the edges and middles. Once you mix them, you’ll find room for more.
- Drizzle EVOO all over potatoes. Don’t skimp, as this makes them nice and brown. But neither should you drown them; I end up with perhaps a 1/8″ layer on the bottom when it settles. If you need a measurement, start with 1/4 cup.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder (generously!) or fresh pressed or minced garlic (generously!). Sprinkle with herbs of choice. I like to go heavy on the rosemary; it’s so fragrant and perfect with potatoes.
- Carefully mix it all up with a (stainless steel!) spatula.
- Bake for 60 minutes, taking dish out and mixing with the spatula every 15 minutes or so. As the potatoes cook, they get softer, so mix carefully if you don’t want mashed roasted red skins.
- Enjoy with sour cream, hot sauce, and/or ketchup. Or plain!
I love this because it only dirties one dish, and despite my ability to ramble, it’s really a simple recipe. When served along side our own fresh scrambled eggs, I’m pretty much in heaven!